Did you know that 80% of home buyers rank their kitchen as the most important room in their home? Whether you’re looking to invest in an Alpharetta property and flip it for a profit or lease it to renters, knowing which rooms matter the most to people can make or break your success. This is especially true when it comes to home renovations.
After all, no one wants to spend a ton of cash on a home renovation only to find out later it doesn’t come with the ROI you expected it to.
That’s why today we’re going to take a look at everything you need to know about a kitchen remodel in Alpharetta. Since this room in your property is one everyone will be looking at, knowing whether the expense of remodeling it will actually increase the value of your home or not is crucial.
Questions to Ask Before Remodeling a Kitchen
It’s not enough to want to increase your home value by remodeling the kitchen. There are things you should ask yourself before getting started to make sure it’s the right project for you to take on.
- Can I afford a kitchen remodel? You’ll want to make sure you have enough money on hand to perform a kitchen remodel the right way. Though you might expect a high return, you’ll have to pay for the project in full upfront or access a home renovations loan.
- Does the home need other repairs? You must prioritize all home repairs before starting a huge project. If you’re going to sell or rent your Alpharetta property, it will need to be in tip-top shape. A beautiful kitchen does no good if your property can’t even pass a home inspection.
- Do nearby homes show a return on kitchen remodels? Knowing how other properties in Alpharetta are benefiting from kitchen remodels will help you determine your budget and how much you should spend.
- What is the kitchen renovation process? How long will it take? Renovating your kitchen can be quite disruptive to your life, for several weeks. It’s helpful to understand the process and prepare for ways to minimize the disruption.
Cost of a Kitchen Remodel and Expected ROI
Another part of knowing whether a kitchen remodel in Alpharetta will increase your home value and be worth the expense is knowing how much the project will cost. Of course, many factors influence how much a kitchen remodel will be. However, there are some general guidelines you can follow.
According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 Cost vs. Value Report, these are national averages for various kitchen remodels:
- Minor Kitchen Remodel: the average cost is about $23,452 and you can expect to recoup about 77.6% of the cost.
- Major Midrange Kitchen Remodel: the average cost is about $68,490 and you can expect to recoup about 58.6% of the cost.
- Major Upscale Kitchen Remodel: the average cost is about $135,547 and you can expect to recoup about 53.9% of the cost.
When it comes to a kitchen remodel, no matter the scale, the ROI is going to depend on the overall condition of your home and the price point or rent rate. Remember, just remodeling a kitchen in Alpharetta isn’t going to increase the value of your home enough on its own. You have to consider the entire condition of your property too. If your kitchen is completely remodeled and stunning, but the rest of your home is outdated, you won’t gain the value you want.
The Kitchen Remodel ‘Joy Factor’
One thing to think about, even though kitchen remodels don’t always have the best ROI, is the Joy Score. The Joy Score, a number indicating how happy a property owner is with a project, is very high when it comes to professionally upgraded kitchens. Ranked on a scale of 1 to 10, kitchen remodels rank at an impressive 9.2.
Adding to that, 90% of homeowners claim that after a complete kitchen renovation they had a greater desire to be home. This feeling can – and most likely does – apply to those leasing rentals too. In other words, whether you’re investing in Alpharetta properties to sell and want to impress home buyers or are investing in properties to lease and want to impress renters, by remodeling your kitchen in Alpharetta you can spark joy and possibly garner a higher sale price or rent rate.
Kitchen Updates That Add Lots of Value to Your Home
No matter your budget, there are plenty of kitchen renovation ideas that will add value to your home.
1. Countertop Replacement
Countertops lie front and center in your kitchen. If they are beautiful, people will notice them right away. If not, people will be turned off immediately.
The key to adding value to your home with this kitchen renovation is to look for high-quality materials that are budget-friendly. This includes materials such as laminate or quartz. The great thing about these materials is that they look and feel expensive, add value to your home, and don’t break the bank.
Another thing you can do, whether you plan to replace the countertops or not, is remove and replace moldy or peeling tile grout. This will make your countertops looks clean and appealing.
2. Update Appliances
Home buyers and renters alike love new appliances that match in a kitchen. Better yet, adding energy-efficient appliances will really catch a lot of people’s eyes. Though appliances will cost a fair amount to update in your kitchen, it’s quick, easy, and effective at adding value to your home.
3. Cabinet Renovations
If you’re looking to completely renovate your home’s cabinets, you could end up spending a lot of money. And while this is fine if you have room in your budget for them, there is an alternative. You can always work with your home’s existing cabinets and give them a makeover by painting them, adding trim to make them appear taller, and replacing the hardware with something new and modern looking.
Interested in knowing the most popular cabinet colors these days? Take a look:
- White (41%)
- Medium wood (13%)
- Gray (10%)
- Multicolored (9%)
- Light wood (7%)
As you can see, a fresh, light color like white reigns supreme when it comes to cabinet colors. However, it’s important the kitchen remodel – cabinet color included – match your property’s overall style so it doesn’t awkwardly stand out.
4. Add a New Kitchen Sink
You might not realize this, but replacing your kitchen sink can add a lot of value to your home without costing you a lot of money. People spend a lot of time at the kitchen sink. Having one that’s big, stylish, and functional will go a long way with both home buyers and renters.
Don’t want to replace the sink? Want to add a little more value to your home? Try adding a new kitchen faucet. There are plenty of styles out there to choose from that range from classic hot and water handles to sanitary no-touch faucets.
5. Other Kitchen Remodels Ideas
Here are some other popular kitchen updates that can add value to your home if you do things right:
- Backsplash: for only a few hundred dollars, you can add a pop of color and style to a neutral kitchen with a kitchen backsplash.
- Lights: swapping out the lights for modern-looking ones can add a lot of appeal to your kitchen. Though more expensive, most buyers and renters prefer recessed lighting.
- Kitchen Island: this is one of the most expensive renovations you can include in your kitchen remodel project. That said, it is often a must-have item in a home and can add a lot of value, style, and functionality to your otherwise dull kitchen.
- Flooring: again, people spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Upgrading your kitchen floors can have a major impact on your home’s overall value.
- Garden Window: if you’re really looking to wow future home buyers or renters, consider adding a garden window. It will allow more natural light to enter the home and give people a place to house their small herb gardens or flower pots.
Are you ready to take your home’s kitchen to the next level and add value to your home? Then contact our Alpharetta kitchen remodelers today and see how we can help.
At Property Pro Services, we have 30+ years of experience and deliver only the highest quality remodeling work. From a simple project to a complete home makeover, we have highly-skilled and caring professionals committed to making your home renovations a dream come true.
Whether you want to replace your cabinets, upgrade your kitchen appliances, or redo your kitchen countertops, we can get your project finished on time, within budget, and looking amazing – just like you would expect from trusted home remodelers in Alpharetta.